Class Teachers: Yoga, Music, Art Job Description
Colorado: Boulder, Denver, Golden, Highlands Ranch
Class Teachers lead and mentor the Explorer Program campers (ages 5-6) every week and guide them through their class activity time in either yoga, music or art respectively. In the Explorer Program, campers spend half of the day participating in an adventure activity and half of the day in Yoga, Music or Art class (taught by the respective teacher). During class activity time, the Class Teacher will be supported by the group instructor. Class teachers typically work at multiple camp sites, as the explore program has 1 or 2 days of each activity. Class teachers are responsible for their lesson plans and materials, and will be given a budget to work with. Lessons tying in elements of the outdoors are a plus! This position is responsible for helping campers build a sense of team, supporting campers’ comfort, confidence, and creativity with new endeavors, engaging campers both during and after activities, and maintaining a safety-oriented environment. Activities will all take place at the specific camp location. Staff should be confident in this age range’s needs and stages of development. *This is a part time position. Teachers typically work between 2-4 days per week.
*Class teachers may occasionally be asked to support a group during their adventure activity time (climbing on the artificial climbing wall, biking, paddling, or hiking).
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide age- and developmentally- appropriate instruction in either Yoga, Music, or Art.
- Plan and deliver fun, creative and engaging lessons.
- Support Explorer groups and group Instructors during drop-off and pick-up times.
- Provide exceptional customer service to parents and all participants in our programs.
- Serve as a role model for campers in appropriate behavior, language, attitudes, and activities.
- Provide guidance, supervision, safety and comfort for participants during all activities.
- Thoroughly understand emergency action plans and help implement procedures if necessary.
- Maintain cleanliness and orderliness of equipment, and report any damages to Camp Director.
- Maintain excellent communication between campers, parents, and staff.
- Participate in staff meetings and program meetings.
- Take an active role in the continual evaluation of campers, programs, and staff.
- Adhere to all of the policies and procedures of the American Camp Association.
- Other duties as requested by the Camp Director.
Mandatory Training Dates:
- Colorado Day Camps training will be in Boulder, CO: 5/17/14 – 5/24/14. Weekend trainings will be available for those staff with weekday conflicts.
- Training days are paid- minimum wage. Training days where staff work towards and receive a certification are not paid.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Yoga Instructor Position: Yoga Teacher Certification- Children’s Yoga Certification preferred.
- Art Instructor Position: Degree in Art Education preferred.
- Music Instructor Position: Degree in Music Education preferred.
- Explorer staff must have documented experience working with 5-6 year olds.
- Experience leading youth and a passion for working with kids.
- Minimum of Community First Aid prior to camp start date. Wilderness First Aid certification is a plus. Wilderness medical certifications must be delivered by a nationally recognized organization (SOLO, WMI, WMA, Aerie, etc.).
- Basic CPR Certification from American Red Cross or American Heart Association prior to camp start date (CANNOT be a 100% online course). Colorado Day Camps: certification can also be obtained during staff training.
- Canoeing & Kayaking certification which can be obtained during Avid4 Staff training.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- High levels of organization, communication, and judgment.
Typical Physical Demands & Working Environment:
- Course set-up, facilitation and take down is physically demanding requiring lifting and moving of heavy elements, setting up industrial type elements (such as portable climbing walls) that have large moving parts.
- Outdoor activities require ability to bike, hike, climb and kayak at a level that affords an appropriate margin of comfort while instructing students.
- Work takes place in outdoor environments in variable, sometimes extreme, weather conditions.
Hours & Dates:
Typical camp schedule: 40 hours/week
*All staff meeting every Wednesday at each location.
- Class teachers instruct between 2-4 days per week.
- Camp dates vary by location and begin as early as 6/2/14 and end 8/22/14. You will have the chance to indicate your availability and location preference in our online application.
- Avid4 Adventure gives 1-2 weeks off during the summer season and can typically honor requests. We do not give partial weeks off to ensure consistency with campers and parents.
- Opportunities for continued fall employment in our Colorado School Programs are also available, though not guaranteed.
Compensation: Varies based on certifications and location. Please see our Colorado pay scale.
Application Process: APPLY ONLINE
- Once we receive your application, we will review it thoroughly. If we decide not to move forward with your application, you will receive an email. If we are interested in moving forward, we will schedule a phone interview via Skype or Google Hangout.
- If you are selected to move forward after the initial phone interview, we will follow up with a second phone interview if you are out of state, or email to schedule an in-person group interview if you live in the Front Range, CO. In-person interviews are 45-50 minutes.
- Our team will do a thorough reference check with no less than 3 references. Two of these references must be with previous employers or professors.
- Once we gather all of this information, we will offer you a job on the following conditions:
- Successful completion of all background checks.
- Successful completion of a field interview in the Spring (if we have concerns regarding technical skills.) The field interview is part of the interview process and an opportunity for us to assess your climbing and biking skills. Candidates are not paid for this time.
- All of your new employee paperwork is submitted within 2 weeks of being offered employment (with the exception of a medical physical which at times can take longer).