In our Highlands Ranch & Castlerock Survival Skills Camp, your kids will learn the magic and practical value of the Earth, not just as a place to play, but also as a source of food, shelter, and tools. Perhaps most importantly, they will also learn that the wilderness is a classroom filled with an infinite number of life lessons.
Highlights for Highlands Ranch Survival Skills Camp:
- Experience the magic of seeing the sun’s stored energy brought to life by rubbing two sticks together.
- Participate in a drum-stalk — Walking blindfolded towards a distant drumbeat and arriving with the realization that you can see with all your senses.
- Discover how a squirrel stays warm at night. When you crawl inside our natural, team-built shelter you may just want to spend the night, knowing you’ll be safe and warm.
- Humans haven’t always had supermarkets, clothing and hardware stores to supply their basic needs. In this class your kids will learn to appreciate and understand how food, medicine, tools, shelter and clothing are still available in our own backyard.
Overview for Highlands Ranch Survival Skills Camp:
The primitive skills course is not the usual seated classroom discussion about dinosaurs, cavemen and indigenous cultures. In this class, taught with reverence, compassion and humor, kids will experience first-hand the skills and knowledge that our ancestors used to survive, and even thrive, with confidence and respect for their environment. This is an opportunity to step outside of the comfort zone of modern tools and technology, and remember our roots.
In the abundant setting provided by the Front Range environment, your kids will learn the magic and practical value of the earth, not just as a source of healthy activities, but also as a source of food, shelter, tools, and perhaps most importantly, a classroom filled with infinite life lessons. Our awareness exercises and games alone will provide simple but powerful keys to unlocking nature’s secrets, and serve as strong foundations for our children’s future experiences and appreciation of the natural world. This is a great way to engender a respect and responsibility for the outdoor legacy we leave our children.
Activity Detail for Highlands Ranch Survival Skills Camp:
- Nature walk, plant ID’s, group discussions on uses, history, incorporating Leave No Trace ethics. Making cordage with local (previously gathered) plant(s). Animal card game: Who Am I?. Awareness exercise: wide-angle vision and turning invisible.
- Basics of flint-knapping/ stone tools, responsibilities and uses of sharpened objects. Fire discussion, demonstration and hands-on practice with hand-drill and bow-drill fire tools. Demo and discussion of fire responsibility, incorporating Leave No Trace ethics. Awareness exercise: trust-walk and circle of awareness.
- Utensil making and/or clay utensils, using local (previously gathered) materials. Awareness exercise: drum-stalk.
- Shelter building, using hay bales and pre-gathered sticks, followed by hike to observe and identify plants and terrain suitable for natural shelter. Demo and practice making figure-4 trap. Awareness exercise: quiet as a mouse.
- Tracking observation and awareness, group discussion. Follow the leader obstacle walk. Closing ceremony/ritual, gift hand-out. A give-away ceremony.
- Games and stories throughout each day will be decided over the next few months.
||Hiking- Parent’s Day
Outside for Life Recommended Summer Camp Progression
The Multi-sport camps are a great starting point for children to begin a full summer of adventure.
Returning campers or activity enthusiasts should continue the summer with single sport camps including kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking, rock climbing, and more…
For a full summer of Avid4 Adventures, start with a classic multi-sport experience, learn advanced skills in some single sport camps, and participate in a family camping trip or the classic Camp Eden Overnight Resident Camp.
Register now for the Highlands Ranch Survival Skills Day Camp!